Where there is no guidance the people fall,
But in abundance of counselors there is victory. (*also translated safety*)
Several circumstances and a few more conversations have left me considering the role of mentors and close relationships in my life once again. There was a time, not long ago, when I thought about this topic nearly daily, taught about it often, and pursued it actively.
Somehow (and that’s a different story), life has happened and my active pursuit has waned due to neglect. I am contemplating a semi-major decision at the moment, though, and have found myself realizing my need of the counsel and guidance afresh. As I thought about it last night, the following questions for prayer and reflection came to mind:
- Who is speaking into your life?
- Are you pursuing God’s wisdom (as opposed to the wisdom of the age), especially in the challenging areas of life?
- Are you actively seeking the victory found in the abundance of counselors?
- Are you willing to truly listen to the hard truth, spoken in love?
- Are you open to wisdom from godly but unexpected sources?
- Do you discount what you don’t like without thought and prayer?
- Does your attitude indicated teachability so as to encourage advisement?